17 April 2007

When it's good not to be an elephant

1. Pregnancy lasts for 22 months. If humans had pregnancies as long we'd have morning sickness for 7 months.
and
2. They give birth to calves weighing in at 120kg (265lb). OUCH!

There wasn't any kind of zen motive behind all of that; it just occured to me that I'm actually quite lucky and that if I was an elephant (ok am currently roughly the same size as one but that's beside the point) I would really have cause to complain.

There was another "unexpected event" that took place last weekend - I tried out my sewing machine and discovered that the self-threading thingy doesn't work no matter what I do. Tried to fix it and made matters worse by unscrewing the needle and then dropping it into the machine (by accident honestly). It won't come out. Any suggestions or is it ok to leave it in there?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooo noo no!! Don't leave it in there! Have you tried a magnet? (if you've got a computerised machine don't put the magnet near it, though)

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

kirsty beat me to it...try a magnet?

meggie said...

No NO! Cant you access the part where it fell in?
It can usually be reached by unscrewing a plate or something.

velcro said...

I've tried unscrewing the plate and it has gone right down into the bottom and I can't reach it at all.
I'll see if there are any magnets lying about and if there aren't I'll have to call the engineer. Oh dear how embarrassing!

nutmeg said...

Not being a known sewer (sp? don't mean those pipes that take away our you know what!) I have no idea. Don't be embarassed - at least you are having a go (unlike some others who have the same cross stitch still on the go for the past 5 years!)

velcro said...

didn't work so I've called Singer and someone, I guess when they've stopped laughing, will call me back.
Nutmeg I have 2 cross stitches on the go at present and am doing nought on either of them. Keep thinking I should at least finish the bookmark one.

Ali said...

Oh poo - that sort of thing happens to me all the time. I had a bra wire lost in the washing machine for years. Hope the Singer people have good ideas!

Lily said...

No comment on the sewing -- I live in healthy fear of my machine. But, yes, it occurred to me many times during pregnancy that it was good not to be an elephant.

Caro said...

I can't even sew a curtain.

And a two-year gestation, the thought of it, makes me shudder.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be able to resist the urge of the engineer in me and end up taking the thing to bits and invalidating the guarantee. How did you do?

caramaena said...

Did you get it out yet?

Pam said...

But baby elephants are quite cute and I'm sure they're a lot less work than baby people. No nappies, no night feeds (well, actually I have no idea about that), no carrying them about all day because they're crying. But then, no cuddling.

Anonymous said...

You ok? Has Peanut made an early appearance?