21 February 2007

Latest books

Finally finished the last lot of library books (would definately recommend My Father's Notebook and The Kaminsky Cure - Nutmeg I think the latter is right up your street), and got some new ones out. Again a mixed bunch, a couple chicklit, one sort of political, and one from the "A" shelf.

  • Not buying it: my year without shopping by Judith Levine. Levine and her partner decide to opt out of buying anything unessential for a whole year. They are allowed to purchase food, toiletries, medication, and pay bills etc, but no restaurants, cinema, dvd rentals. They do cheat a little I thought by ensuring that their magazine subscriptions are renewed just before they started, but it was an interesting read and has made me think about exactly what I spend MrV's salary on. (finished this one already)
  • Something Borrowed - Tina Reilly
  • Diary of a Married Call Girl - Tracy Quan
  • Minaret - Leila Aboulela

7 comments:

Lily said...

Thanks for the feedback on Arthur & George -- started it this afternoon. I'll put your other recs on my list -- which is getting long. So many good books, so little time.

molly said...

Read an article recently about a whole movement to cut down on consumerism. It sounded very interesting. Involved growing all your own vegetables, trading goods and services and pooling skills and abilities.

Ali said...

Not buying it has been one of the most thought provoking books I have read in a very long time. It really has changed my attitude towards shopping. Thinking about my motivation for why I buy stuff rather that just can I afford it.

When I recommended it to my sister in law though she just said "Why on earth would I want to read that?"

Jay said...

Wow. Just trying to imagine a year without buying - I can't help but think it would be a bleak year.

Aunty Evil said...

Does a year without buying mean you can't buy the book about not buying a book? :)

Anonymous said...

I glanced at the Diary of a Married Call Girl on the Borders 3 for 2 summer offer, but I'd just finished Belle de Jour who I wanted to slap halfway through and it put me right off tarts journals. Let me know how you get on with it.

velcro said...

what I would really like to see is a book about cutting down on consumerism but based in reality for those of us who live in flats without gardens. Very good book though and well worth reading.
Didn't buy it - ordered it from the library as am trying to cut down on what I spend money on. So far have even managed not to go and buy oil paints!
MrsT - so far Diary of Married Call Girl is ok. I haven't wanted to slap her yet....