- Fear and Trembling by Amelie Nothomb. Found this on DomesticAli's blog and thought that it sounded rather good. All about a Belgian girl working for a year in Japan. I read Hokkaido Highway Blues: Hitchhiking Japan by Will Ferguson during the Summer and loved it. Japan is somewhere that has always intrigued me so am looking forward to reading this one.
- Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alistair McCall Smith. During my pregnancy with the FB I lost my ability to concentrate but found that I could read Smith's books and loved them.
- Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey. Part of my plan to read books I wouldn't ordinarily pick up - I pick up a book at random from a shelf in the library. Currently I'm on A. Have found some real gems this way, and of course some utter crap.
- 1001 Books you must read before you die by Peter Boxall. The other part of my plan to get out of my chicklit reading rut. Will take a few hundred years or so but I would like to read most of the books listing in this tomb.
- Cents and Sensibility by Maggie Alderson. With so many worthy books I needed something trashy to balance them out and Alderson does the trick perfectly.
- Arthur and George by Julian Barnes. Next month's book for the library reading group. My future brother-in-law read it and really enjoyed it.
11 January 2007
Books for a blustery day
Very windy day today with lots of rain chucked in for good luck. The FB and I stopped in at the library on our way back from nursery and got some rather good books